Monday, November 23, 2009

Cowboy Bebop Session #18: Speak Like A Child

I am officially at the two-thirds mark of the series that is Cowboy Bebop. Unfortunately, I will not be the champion I had hoped I would be for the series. Nevertheless, I press on and look at its positives. It is clearly a landmark anime series. If one had to list a top ten in anime there's a very good chance this one would be in it. I'm a huge fan of Firefly and this was clearly influential on that series as one reader noted and as I may have mentioned in previous Firefly musings.

Here we are at the horse races with Cowboy Bebop, Session #18, Speak Like A Child. Faye Valentine gambles while juxtaposed with Spike enjoying a bit of down time fishing.

Faye receives a package handed to her by Jet. Jet ensures he will do his best to fully test the package for explosives.

I'm having a problem with this episode as my DVD is not responding properly. It clearly has a defect of some sort on this particular episode and is killing the flow of the story as the images keep jarring and freezing to a grinding halt. I'm afraid the review on this one will not be completed properly.

It would appear Spike and Jet attempt to find out what is on the video cassette, which is the package Faye received. Faye has left. Spike and Jet need to figure a way to play this Beta tape. They head to Earth in the BeBop.

We get a touch of Faye's past as suggested by title of the entry based upon a song/album by Herbie Hancock. The video contains a letter from a young Faye to herself.

I'm afraid I cannot fully comment on this entry as my DVD was defective. It's a shame because it looked reasonably intriguing.

Speak Like A Child: ?

2 comments:

Diego said...

Wow, that is a shame. I'd try to watch the whole episode in full if I were you. The only episodes I like personally like better are Ballad of Fallen Angels and the two-part finale.

SFF said...

Hey Diego. I know. What a bummer. Well, it sounds like you and I are on the same page because Ballad has been one of my favorites. I look forward to the finale.