Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Neighbor Totoro Polystone

An image of little Mei, Satsuki and Totoro [complete with frog] at the bus stop in the rain from the classic, delightfully adorable film My Neighbor Totoro. A gorgeous painted Polystone diorama released in February 2006.
*
This delightful little collectible was originally slated for the Fancave. It resided there in its box for some time. The Japanese import captures a particularly unforgettable moment in the otherwise entirely unforgettable film My Neighbor Totoro directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Walt Disney purchased the rights to the productions of Studio Ghibli. There's isn't a bad film in the Studio Ghibli bunch. Most of the works of Director Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and Yoshifumi Kondo are available stateside. I'm still waiting for a release of Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday and the made for Japanese television film Ocean Waves by Tomomi Mochizuki. I'm not sure the latter two will ever see the light of day here in the states, but I remain forever hopeful. Would Miyazaki have it any other way? The works of Studio Ghibli are like paintings come to life. Immense, lovingly detailed, colorful works as represented in this beautiful PVC collectible, a perfect snapshot from My Neighbor Totoro.
*
My kids love My Neighbor Totoro and truth be told I do too. It is an infinitely watchable film for all ages.
*
So one Christmas I decided the Totoro figure was better suited on display as a conversation piece for my Girl Wonder and her friends than sitting in a box collecting dust. The collectible and film remain popular favorites in our home.
*
Actually, I don't have the box any longer unfortunately. It was a rare momentary lapse of reason from this collector to throw it away after opening. Gosh, what the hell was I thinking? I'm not even sure if this item is still available. It seems fairly elusive at this point. The collectible is returning to the Fancave until such time it can safely remain in the loving dustfree arms of a Girl Wonder without a bedroom that looks like a bomb went off in it! It's a miracle that little frog is still around. If you haven't seen the film it's time for you to relive the joys of your youth.

No comments: