Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SciFiNow: Lost In Space

The latest issue of SciFiNow #56 delivers a splendid Time Warp for the retro science fiction set. Fans of Lost In Space can celebrate an eight page spread with loads of great information and images looking back at the iconic 1960s classic.

I purchased the issue without even a glance. It was must own science fiction for the Musings Of A Sci-Fi Fanatic site. If there are more than two to three pages worthy of investigation than the magazine often meets the eyeball test for me.

There was just one disappointment. SciFiNow opted not to provide a Top 10 Best and Worst list for the series. We all know the three magical seasons of Lost in Space deserves such a list. The Sci-Fi Fanatic will be providing his own in its absence on a date to be determined. The omission of that always fun portion of their retrospectives aside, this colorful look back provides interview footage by Bill Mumy and Jonathan Harris from the fanzine archives and a good bit of behind-the-scenes information that was insightful to the making of the series.

I'm often impressed at SciFiNow's efforts to provide some degree of research in their coverage. It's not just commentary from James Hoare, who does do a nice job with the piece, but a good deal of fact finding. I'll provide some of that information in future Lost In Space episode coverage. Ohhh the pain.

3 comments:

le0pard13 said...

Looks like a cool piece. Looking forward to the coverage. Thanks, SFF.

PDXWiz said...

I agree with le0pard13. This looks very interesting, and I can't wait to see what you have to say.

SciFiNow has developed the art of illustration to the same level as National Geographic or Life. Wish I could afford to pick it up regularly; I'm hooked on it after scanning one issue and getting the Best of SFTV/SFFilm special.

Gordon Long

SFF said...

Thank you both. Definitely. It's a sharp looking layout. SFN does a splendid job assembling these pieces.

I understand the price and only pick up those issues of interest. The next issue has nothing of interest for me. Looks like I'll save 10 dollars.

Best,
sff