Monday, October 1, 2012

Michael O'Hare [1952-2012]

It is with some sadness that I discover late and report that Babylon 5 actor Michael O'Hare [1952-2012] has passed away.  He suffered a heart attack roughly one week ago followed by a coma until his passing last Friday. 

He is best known for the role of Commander Jeffrey Sinclair in science fiction classic Babylon 5.  The American born actor led the cast of Babylon 5 for its inaugural first year navigating a somewhat uneven launch for that opening season.

He was replaced for Season Two by Bruce Boxleitner who played Commander and eventual President John Sheridan for the remaining four of the five seasons of Babylon 5.

It's worth noting that one of the most enjoyable aspects of writing this blog, Musings of A Sci-Fi Fanatic, began with a comprehensive [though looking back not as comprehensive as I would have liked] look at Babylon 5 for my very first time and drawing reflections from that series for input here.  I have very nice memories of writing about the series and exchanging quality comments to and from with Babylon 5 fans across the globe who were far more versed on the series than your humble fanatic.


O'Hare's departure from the series was noted by creator J. Michael Straczynski to be "mutual" and "amicable."  Thinking back, while O'Hare's Sinclair was not my favorite character on the series, some of his work for Babylon 5 is notable and highlights from Season One starring O'Hare include Episode 8, And The Sky Full Of Stars, Episode 13, Signs And Portents, Episode 20, Babylon Squared and Episode 22, Chrysalis [three of the four episodes noted as the best in SciFiNow's Best Of Babylon 5 and Ten Of The Best].  One of the very best of the entire series is Season Three, Episode 16 & 17, War Without End Parts I & II as noted in the Sci-Fi Fanatic BIG 10: Babylon 5

There isn't much specific coverage out there regarding O'Hare's quality entries as leader of the Babylon 5 space station and universe that first season when there are plenty certainly worth consideration.  Michael O'Hare passed away on September 28, 2012.  He was just 60 years of age.  May your star fill the heavens indeed.

4 comments:

L.G. Keltner said...

Babylon 5 is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I was sad to hear about Michael O'Hare's passing. It's a terrible loss, and it came too soon.

Jason Zavoda said...


I saw his name mentioned but the name didn't click with me till I saw the picture on your blog. That is a damn shame. I think I only saw him in one other thing besides B5 and I would have liked to have seen him do more sci-fi.

SFF said...

Very sad L.G.... Way too young.

Jason... Thanks for visiting. I know what you mean. The man appeared on Law And Order and an old favorite, Kate And Allie.... I'd really like to see those episodes.

But I would like to see more as well and I will take time out to see his B5 work again in the future.

Our prayers together guys.
Sff

Anton said...

Re-watching Babylon 5 after a long hiatus, just learnt how many of the actors passed away. But the story with O'hare's schizophrenia as a secret kept to his grave hit me the hardest. :( Hope he finally found peace...